Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Recipe or 2

I don't normally post recipe's on my blog because it takes a lot of time to write out all the ingredients, but, I have some totally worth sharing.  Plus, the hubby, loves both of these recipes.

The first one is a butternut squash soup.  I made it over Christmas time (with a few changes) and loved it.  Such a good, simple soup.  Not too rich.  Just right.  I feel like sometimes some recipes for butternut squash soup are way too rich that you can only have a few bites.  The first time I made this, I substituted  butter for the olive oil, because everything tastes better with butter and it was Christmas time.  If you can make something 1,000 more calories at Christmas, then you should.  I also added a little bit of whipping cream.  I made this again last night with some BLTA's (bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado) on wheat bread.  This time, I made almost exactly how the recipe recommends, except for a little extra garlic.  I love me some garlic, oh yeah, and more salt, salt your soup to taste, and I used fresh sage which I would definitely recommend.  Didn't add badness.  Used the olive oil, skipped the whipping.  It's an awesome soup, and one that is so basic that you can add what you want.  It'd be good with crumbled bacon for example, but, that's why I made it with the BLTA's.  So here she is, and, I feel like I have to post this recipe because of the calories.  You will be shocked when you eat this soup how filling it is.  I'm on a bit of a diet and I know some of you are too, so it's really a great one to add to your collection.  Plus, it is soooo easy, and I get my butternut squash already seeded and cut into cubes at Costco.  Costco has great produce.

I got this off of Recipe zaar.  If you click on this you might be able to print it.


Next recipe is my Lime and Cilantro Chicken Salad, Kelly, I think you requested this one a while back.  Everyone loves this, it's from the Nordstroms cookbook.  I make a few slight changes to fit my liking.

My changes:  For the salad - I use a rotisserie chicken, I use a can of corn niblets, and omit the tomatoes (not a fan of tomatoes in salad)

For the dressing:  I use more chipotle chiles.  I like it spicy.  If you find that you put too many chipotles in, cancel out that hotness with the honey.  You can play with it to get it how you like it.




Please excuse how dirty that scan is.   As you can tell, I make it a lot.

Enjoy!!

BTW - I clicked on each recipe and was able to print them both out.
 

Me

My Photo
I'm Kristi, the wife of one very lucky and handsome husband, and mother to two beautiful little girls. I'm honest and sarcastic, funny and easy going. I love to eat and love to hate that I love butter. And wine. And did I mention butter? I'm always learning new things, happy to lend a hand, and love my life. This is a blog of my family and the day to day crazy that we call Rush Hour. I hope while you are here that you enjoy yourself and come back often!

The Rush Family

The Rush Family

My Buddies and Me :)

Search This Blog

hit counter for blogger