Sunday, August 21, 2011

How to Make Onion Rings

First off, you have to be kind of smart to make these.  Or be completely stupid.  They are so easy and I don't know why I never made them before.

Well I do know why, they are fattening.  But delicious.  I always go for, "make them, they sound delicious."  Over, "wow, don't make those, they are so fattening."

Everything is good in moderation though right?

Anyway...get an onion, I use a yellow.

Cut it as thin or as thick as you want.  I like an in betweener.  Is that a word?  It doesn't really matter if it is or not.

I'm using it.

Once you slice your onion, soak your slices in buttermilk.


I'm not an expert, but I think you can soak them for as long as you want.  Well, not as long as you want.  But over night might be okay.  I don't know, I just do a couple of hours.

After that, warm up a lot of oil.  I mean a lot.  I did it in my Mom's iron skillet because I don't own a deep fryer.  (this is probably a good thing, or I'd fry everything, like everything.)

Mix together your batter.  I do regular flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper.

I know it sounds weird, but I taste my mixture.  It won't taste like it does on your onions, but you can get an idea for how seasoned they will be.


I really don't know how much of everything I put in.  But it's not a science.  


Throw your onion slices in your batter.  Coat well.  Then, throw them in your hot oil.  I heat my oil at medium high.



When they turn golden...they are good to go.


Cooks note:  Don't make enough onion rings so that you can freeze some for the next time you make something yummy that needs them on top (aka BJ's BBQ salad - which by the way I found the perfect BBQ ranch recipe to use on it) because they will be eaten if left out.  I mean, ALL OF THEM.  They are that good!

Enjoy!


 

Me

My Photo
I'm Kristi, the wife of one very lucky and handsome husband, and mother to two beautiful little girls. I'm honest and sarcastic, funny and easy going. I love to eat and love to hate that I love butter. And wine. And did I mention butter? I'm always learning new things, happy to lend a hand, and love my life. This is a blog of my family and the day to day crazy that we call Rush Hour. I hope while you are here that you enjoy yourself and come back often!

The Rush Family

The Rush Family

My Buddies and Me :)

Search This Blog

hit counter for blogger