Monday, April 18, 2011

Some Random


Howdy Ya'll!

How is everyone?  Good I'm sure. 

The weather sucks right now.  My allergies are crazy.  I hate them.  Which by the way, I hate the Spring time.  I really do.  I hate the allergies that come with it, and the festive colors.  I really don't like Easter colors.  Pastels...yuck.  It would be fine if they stuck with like light pink and light green for example, but they throw in all colors in pastel.  It makes me want to throw up.  It's like when someone asks me to design a cake with pink, purple, blue, peach, yellow, and green.  Really?  Pick one.  Or two.  Please don't make it look like a Crayola box spit up all over your cake.

Oh and one more thing about the spring.  Only in California would I get a nice sunburn one day and then have to wear a sweatshirt and jeans the next.  Just sayin'.

I'm thinking you are probably wondering what I was doing on Sunday to get a sunburn right?  I was in Hawaii.  On the beach, with a Corona.

I went by myself, left Friday night and came home Sunday night.  I needed a break from everything so I just hopped on a plane.  I don't know why you wouldn't believe me, I mean, here is a picture I took of the sunset Saturday evening.



And I saw a wedding while I was there.


See, I told you.  And if you are thinking to yourself that you might have seen these pictures on my Mom's blog last year from when she and my Dad went to Hawaii, you are wrong.  WRONG I tell you.

Okay maybe you are not wrong, but it would have been really cool if you were and I really went to Hawaii.

Instead, Tim and I took on a huge project in the backyard.  It's definitely because I had a dream on Friday night and Saturday morning I wanted to make my dream a reality.

I've been wanting to stain our fence in the backyard for forever, it is in terrible, terrible shape.  I don't know why people don't take care of a good thing before it goes bad.  If only someone had stained this fence a few times before us.  It would look much better.

Tim cleared our hill (for hopefully the last time) of the weeds that have grown from the rain, and fixed the sprinklers back there. 


Once he sprays the hill with weed killer and completely clears it, we should be able to start planting.

Can you sense my excitement?  We decided to put redoing the bonus room on hold until the backyard is done. 

We started with a pretty dark stain.  It was actually really, really red.  We tried it out and it basically looked like paint so we went with Thompson's Natural Cedar.  If you can see it, we had tested the corner...


What really turned us off of this color is the house behind us had used what looked like the same stain and their fence just looked bad, really worn.  The Thompon's that we chose will protect against water.  I don't think the other kind does.

In progress...


And done.  Didn't take a picture of the entire yard but you get it.  I'm really wanting to plant a vine-y plant in places along the fence and I think it'll look pretty with the darker stain coming through.


If you can see the neighbor's fence, you can see what we were working with.  Not much.  What I don't like is how black our fence really was and the stain just made it darker.  Not what I imagined it would be, but I think it's definitely better than what it was.

Now...I found this a few months ago and I'm addicted.


Do you like sweet tea?  I do.  I fell in love with it in Kentucky.  Well, this here is diet.  When I started my diet, I think I just reached for all things diet, fat free, sugar free, etc.  I remember picking this up thinking it was plain tea and having a confusing moment in my head thinking that all regular tea was 0 calories, but then one of my beastly children Madi tried to steal the other beastly child's Riley's cookie and I became distracted throwing the bottle in my wagon shouting, "stop fighting or I'll beat you right here and now,take both of your cookies away!.  Oh and yes, I call it a wagon, and you can find the tea next to the OJ.

This little lovely guy is a wrap.  With tuna.  My Mom made this up.  Instead of using mayo for your tuna salad, she smashes up an avocado and uses that instead.  SO good! 


I guess that is it for now.

But I'll leave you with a question.

What do you do when it comes time to bathe your children and your housekeeper/you have cleaned your entire house and it smells like lemon?  And you can't imagine them splashing around in the tub leaving water droplets all over?

If it's not summer and you can't hose them down outside, you plop them in the kitchen sink!


And  yes, I did say them.



And you wondered why I went with the one compartment sink when we installed granite didn't you?
 

Me

My Photo
I'm Kristi, the wife of one very lucky and handsome husband, and mother to two beautiful little girls. I'm honest and sarcastic, funny and easy going. I love to eat and love to hate that I love butter. And wine. And did I mention butter? I'm always learning new things, happy to lend a hand, and love my life. This is a blog of my family and the day to day crazy that we call Rush Hour. I hope while you are here that you enjoy yourself and come back often!

The Rush Family

The Rush Family

My Buddies and Me :)