Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11-11


I remember 10 years ago.  I was in college.  In Kentucky.  And I was driving to class.  I was trying to find something to listen to on the radio.  I tried all my stations.  Everyone was talking.  No music.  I couldn't figure out why, so I left it on one.  You know in college, there were so many things on my mind that I was not listening at first.  Until my mind wandered back to the radio, and why there were still no jams.

And then I started to listen.  To the horrifying things I was hearing.  It had to be a joke.  But it wasn't.  I finally got to school and found a parking spot.  And just sat in my car.  Listening.  My eyes welled up and I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  Before I knew it, I was 10 minutes late to class.  I pulled myself out of the car and walked quickly to class.  My mind racing.  I didn't want to go.  But I did.

Class was canceled.  It was serious.

We had a game that day.  In Louisville.  It got canceled.

Our coach had us in Memorial Coliseum and was telling us what was going on.  I couldn't believe my ears.  It was awful.

And the days that followed were bad.

My heart goes out to those that were lost, to those that lost, and to those that so unselfishly did their best to save those that they could.

And I'm so proud of our troops, and what they do everyday to keep our country safe.

I thank God for them.  I'm sad that this devastating day ever had to happen.  I'm thankful for all the heroes.  There were so many.

And I'm thankful for all the articles this week leading up to today that will never let us forget.

Tim has been wanting to go to March Air Force Base for a long time now.  So we went today.  I thought it would be cool to visit, especially today.


There were quite a few visitors there.  And all seemed to have a reason as to why they were there.

It really is a cool place, and I would have liked to have spent at least another 2 hours there.  But the kids, you know, those beasts I post pictures of on here all the time?  They were bad.  It seems to be the pattern these days.


But we stayed long enough to have a little bit of fun.  And to learn about all the men and women that have fought for our country.


I really didn't know how much I loved museums.  Until today.


It's so important to know where we came from.  And what others have done for our freedom.  It makes you feel very insignificant.  In a good way.


It helps to have a hubby come along with you that watches the history channel.  And is one of those guys that knows something about everything.  Very educational.


Of course, the girls thought we were going to actually be getting on a plane.  Probably to go see Nana and Grand Dad.  I'm sorry that we had to disappoint them.


But there is no way I was getting on one of those planes.  To go anywhere.  Not even to the McDonald's down the street for a milkshake.


Not this girl!

It was fun though, and the girls did have a good time before the melt down.  You know, I saw another family there.  With 2 little boys.  About the same ages as Riley and Madi.  They held their Mom and Dad's hand the entire time.  And were quiet.  And did what they were told.

I really want to know how those parents did that.  Or where they bought their children.  And if they do trade ins....just kidding...but seriously...why are mine so hard headed?  And stubborn?  And independent?

Makes my job hard.  But that's okay.  They are cute.  If they weren't....

But after the Air Force Base, we headed over to the Mission Inn.


We thought we'd get the girls some icecream and take a nice walk around downtown.  With all the bums.  I repeat...WITH ALL THE BUMS.

Sad, but scary.  They were kind of everywhere today.  So we found the best place we could to kick off our shoes and have some icecream.


Aren't those cute?  Thanks April, the girls love their flippy floppies!  Check her out at She Flops 

She's awesome.  And owes me a sushi date... :)  We need to set that up girlie!

It was a nice day.  Considering the screaming, and crying.  We walked around the Mission Inn to see the room that Tim and I stayed in on our wedding night.  It's the top floor.


Best night ever that was!

But in closing, I hope you never forget about what happened that day.  I know I won't.

 

Me

My Photo
I'm Kristi, the wife of one very lucky and handsome husband, and mother to two beautiful little girls. I'm honest and sarcastic, funny and easy going. I love to eat and love to hate that I love butter. And wine. And did I mention butter? I'm always learning new things, happy to lend a hand, and love my life. This is a blog of my family and the day to day crazy that we call Rush Hour. I hope while you are here that you enjoy yourself and come back often!

The Rush Family

The Rush Family

My Buddies and Me :)

Search This Blog

hit counter for blogger