Thursday, February 24, 2011

Project 52: Blankies and Paffers

Once again, I'm linking up with all the other Mom's in Project 52!  Hosted by Simply Modern Mom!

Project 52: Glimpse Into Motherhood


This week, I'm reminiscing a bit.  Well, kind of.  It's a recent picture but an old thought.

When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I took back every single pacifier that I received as gifts from my baby shower.  In my eyes, they were a waste of money.  I was never going to use one on any baby.  They were unnecessary.  Really.  I was smart back then, and knew everything.  I knew everything.  I also knew that my kids would not be the clingy blankie kind that had to take their blankets everywhere.  Or that nasty stuffed animal that never gets washed.  I'm telling you, I knew it all.

My Mom never used pacifiers on us, we didn't carry blankies around, so I figured, I wouldn't have kids that needed all that nonsense.

WRONG.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's probably my husband's fault.  It's not my blood, it must be his.  Right?

Well regardless, the first night in the hospital with are darling baby girl, she didn't sleep for 8 hours.  Eight hours.  Eight.  Hours.  Let me repeat...8.

Newborns barely open up their eyes for 15 minutes and then doze back off to sleep.  Not ours.  The nurses couldn't help us, I was frustrated.  My milk had not come down yet.  We finally got a nurse that knew what she was doing.  She said, your daughter is hungry!  That's all!  The hospital that I gave birth in is crazy about breastfeeding.  Like Nazi's.  She used a little syringe and a tube that led down to my apples (that's what we call them in this house) and fed Riley some formula.  Then, she gave us a paci.  She said use it.  Your daughter likes to suck.  So I did.  And she loved it. 

Loved it so much that it was difficult to take it away from her.  If you'd like to read how we did it..click here.

She also loved her blankies.  We couldn't leave the house without them.  So there I was, with a baby that loved all the things I said she wouldn't.  But I didn't care, I was in love.  She could have whatever she wanted.

Same thing with my second.  Only she loves them even more.  The paci fairy will be making another stop at our house soon.  But I'm not rushing it.  She's pretty cute.  And in case you were wondering, she calls it her Paffer.

And I think it's adorable.


Now, head back over to Project 52 and check out all the other entries!

Project 52: Glimpse Into Motherhood


 

Me

My Photo
I'm Kristi, the wife of one very lucky and handsome husband, and mother to two beautiful little girls. I'm honest and sarcastic, funny and easy going. I love to eat and love to hate that I love butter. And wine. And did I mention butter? I'm always learning new things, happy to lend a hand, and love my life. This is a blog of my family and the day to day crazy that we call Rush Hour. I hope while you are here that you enjoy yourself and come back often!

The Rush Family

The Rush Family

My Buddies and Me :)

Search This Blog

hit counter for blogger