Thursday, August 27, 2009

New Salad

Last weekend, I was finally able to REALLY grocery shop, you know, the Costco trip and the grocery store trip. Ahhh, it feels so nice to have food in the house. I've been in a cooking slump mostly because it's hard when you need to go to the store for something because you haven't planned any menus and you're going like every two days with kids in tow. Not fun. So, I found a bunch of new recipes because I love to cook. I've also had the nicest break from cakes and cookies, which I have so desperately needed. I haven't had an order since the 15th of August, aside from something I did for my Mom. So nice. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. So, this recipe is so yummy. I'm always looking for new salads because I love salad for dinner, and I love salad the next day for lunch. I make a salad from the Nordstroms cookbook that they also serve in their restaurant. Tim loves this salad. Every time I ask him what he'd like for dinner, he says, "Your salad would be good." Out of all the things I make, seriously Tim, it's time to branch out. I have found a few recipe's that I like but not a good one for like a main dish. Until, Bobby Flay's salad came into my life. This recipe is good. I've made it twice so far and made just a couple of changes, not really changes, I just add more of a few things. Click here for the recipe and reviews or I've included it in this post. It's really good and super easy. Cutting everything up small is kind of a pain but worth it for sure. The other good thing is it uses a rotisserie chicken, awesome, hello easy!! It's called the Chinese Chicken Salad with Red Chile Peanut Dressing. My small changes are, add more cilantro and more green onions then it calls for. Also, I add more peanut butter and more honey to the dressing. The dressing totally compliments the ingredients of the salad and the two become one. Mmmmm. Oh yeah, I also like to add the fried wonton things that you can get in the salad isle. I hope you try this, it is a keeper! So far the two times I've made it, I've been asked for the recipe so you know it's good.

Chinese Chicken Salad with Red Chile Peanut Dressing
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

Ingredients
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chipotle pepper puree
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup canola oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 head Napa cabbage, shredded
1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
1/4 pound snow peas, julienned
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
Chili oil, optional
Grilled lime halves, for garnish
Directions
Whisk together the vinegar, peanut butter, ginger, chipotle pepper puree, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and canola oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Combine cabbage, lettuce, carrots, snow peas, cilantro, and green onion in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
Transfer to a serving platter and top with the shredded chicken, chopped peanuts, and mint. Drizzle with chili oil, if desired. Garnish with grilled lime halves.

I had the leftovers for lunch the other day, mmmmm.


And good to the last drop...
 

Me

My Photo
I'm Kristi, the wife of one very lucky and handsome husband, and mother to two beautiful little girls. I'm honest and sarcastic, funny and easy going. I love to eat and love to hate that I love butter. And wine. And did I mention butter? I'm always learning new things, happy to lend a hand, and love my life. This is a blog of my family and the day to day crazy that we call Rush Hour. I hope while you are here that you enjoy yourself and come back often!

The Rush Family

The Rush Family

My Buddies and Me :)

Search This Blog

hit counter for blogger